The Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks (FBCYICN) is a youth-driven, provincial, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of young people in and from care in BC between the ages of 14 and 24. We were created in 1993 by young people in care!
For us, “in care“, means having accessed services from the Ministry of Children and Family Development and Delegated Aboriginal Agencies anytime between the ages 0-19 and includes: foster homes, group homes, child and youth mental health services, addiction facilities, custody centres, youth agreements, independent living, extended family placements, or experiencing homelessness. Those receiving services from Community living BC any time between 0-24 are also qualify for membership and access our programs and services.
Want to learn more about us? Check out our:
- Youth-made FBCYICN 101 Video: “A Place for Youth in and From Care”
- Youth-made PSA: “How to Stand with Children and Youth in and from Care” and other videos on our YouTube channel like “#YouthIn CareAre Awesome!“
ADVOCATE, CONNECT, EMPOWER
Together as youth, alumni, staff and board members, we provide programs and services that help British Columbia’s young people in and from care:
Advocate: Learn about rights and unite their voices on needs, issues and ideas to create positive changes to the system.
Connect: Come coming together in a safe, supportive environment for friendship, to meet supportive adults and to engage in exciting opportunities.
Empower: Explore and develop goals, skills and talents, and receive one-to-one adult and peer support.
We are a community of young people and allies working together to make things better in our province for all young people who, for whatever reason, spent time cared for by the government. We welcome all young people who’ve experienced care in British Columbia to engage in our work and programs—as participants, as volunteers and in leadership positions. We also welcome our community partners and those striving to be allies to youth in and from care to connect with us and see how we can work together!
- Learn more about our programs—including youth retreats, bursaries, local youth in care networks, magazine, one-to-one support , volunteer and leadership training!
- Learn more about us and how you can show your support for young people in and from care—check out our youth-made videos!
- Stay connected with us on Facebook and Twitter!
- Join the global Facebook campaign “I Stand With Children and Youth in Care“
#jointhevillage #standwithyouthincare #youthincareareawesome … pass it on!