Board of Directors
We here at the Fed are so lucky to have a passionate, hard-working, skilled and dedicated group of alumni of care and allies on our board. This team of volunteers from around the province help us steer our ship according to our mission and values while making sure we do so in good legal and financial standing. Learn more about our current board members and how you can join our board!
What’s a Board of Directors?
Every non-profit organization must have a Board of Directors: a group of volunteers who are elected by the organization’s members to be responsible for governing or overseeing the organization; to make sure we are following our mission, setting and meeting goals, following the law, and spending our money responsibly.
To be on the board, an individual must:
- Support the mission and values of FBCYICN and its role to support youth (14-24) in and from government care.
- Be knowledgeable about issues facing youth in and from care and be committed to on-going and long-term support for these young people.
- Understand the duties and responsibilities of governance in relation to a non-profit organization.
- Be prepared to contribute to and participate in fund development for FBCYICN.
- Be able to devote the time and effort necessary to fully participate in the governance of the organization. (Attend Steering Committee Meetings, monthly board meetings, participation in committee work as necessary, etc.)
- Be respected and influential in the community, and/or possesses special skills, knowledge or experience which would assist the work of the Board including experience in care, in the child and youth-serving sector, legal, HR, accounting, etc.
- Personal characteristics must be a good fit with the organization.
- For board liability insurance purposes, all board members must be 19 years of age or older.
See the general Board of Director position description here for more information.