Dream Fund Selection Committee
Deadline to Respond: Wednesday, October 18 at 4:30 PM
Have you ever filled out an application and wondered what happens next and how decisions get made? Are you interested in being a part of a team that makes decisions on which amazing young people to award $$$ to for them to pursue some of their personal and educational dreams? If so, you should be a part of the Dream Fund Selection Committee! We are looking for 2 youth members, 1 Alumni, and 1 Board Member, and no previous experience is necessary!
As a committee, you will be responsible for recommending successful applicants for our Dream Fund Bursaries (Education Achievement Bursary and Reach for Success Bursary), both of which provide financial support ($$$) to young people interested in career training and/or education opportunities.
Start Date: Monday, October 23, 2017 (to pick up applications)
End Date: Saturday, October 25, 2017 from 4:30 - 6:30 PM (for selection committee meeting)
Time Commitment: Approximately 4-6 hours
Supervising Staff: Shannon Dolton, Engagement Coordinator
Interested? Contact Shannon at:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | Facebook: “Shannon Dolton - fbcyicn” | Phone: (604) 527-7762 (ext. 109) or Toll-Free: 1-800-565-8055 (ext. 115)
- Read and review 5 to 10 applications for each of our bursaries (there are two bursaries)!
- Evaluate applications based on a set criteria (For example, things like: is this young person in/from care between 14-24 years old? Is there a reference letter included in the application?)
- Attend a MANDATORY meeting on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 from 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM to select applicants
- Work with other committee members to select successful applicants
- Keep strict confidentiality (keeping all information top secret!) during and after process
Skills/Knowledge we’re looking for:
- You enjoy reading!
- Evaluating fairly and without bias or judgment
- Able to deal with conflict (for example, respectfully working through any disagreements that might come up)
- Able to keep strict confidentiality (not sharing any information with anyone not on the committee!
Training provided and required:
- FBCYICN orientation to the role
- Going over the application criteria (check-list of what to look for while reading applications
What you'll get:
- Youth volunteer hours counted towards honorarium (Every 20 hours means a $100 from us!)
- An opportunity to help guide the work of the Fed and make important decisions that affect young people in/from care
- Receive an acknowledgment in our Power Pages magazine
- Reference letter if requested