Work with us
All Fed staff are passionate about helping young people in and from care express their voice and achieve their goals. We are a team that celebrates diversity, each with unique skills and strengths that together allow us to achieve our mission to improve the lives of youth in and from care in BC.
- Committed to a youth-driven approach
- Knowledgeable about the issues facing young people in and from care in BC
- Experienced in supporting cultural connections for Aboriginal and other minority groups.
We are currently hiring a Local Development Coordinator.
Community Development Coordinator (Local Development Coordinator)
Send a cover letter and resume with your full name and ‘Local Development Coordinator Application’ in the subject line to email@example.com. All interest is appreciated. Due to high volume of applications we will review only those applicants who have been selected for an interview. Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
The Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks (FBCYICN) is a youth-driven, provincial, non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of young people in and from government care in BC, between the ages of 14 and 24. To learn more about this unique and dynamic organization go to www.fbcyicn.ca.
Job Summary: Working closely with the Local Development Manager, the Local Development Coordinator is responsible for developing and supporting our Federation Locals (groups) throughout BC. A “Local” is a group of young people (14-24) who are in or from government care that come together for support so they don’t feel alone in their experiences! Locals give young people an opportunity to meet new people, do fun activities, develop skills and unite their voices to make change in the systems that affect them.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Develop Locals - Promote and develop Community Groups (Locals) throughout BC.
- Maintain Locals – provide ongoing coaching and support to Local Leadership teams; develop, review and revise policies and procedures for the Locals; promote Locals through the proper use of social media tools and networking.
- Local & Community Collaboration - Plan and facilitate training activities for representatives from the Local’s Leadership Teams; support the Locals to connect to the broader community and in the Federation’s programs and initiatives.
- Volunteer supervision – support a team of youth and adult volunteers to advise and support the Local Development Program.
- Ongoing Organizational Support of the Federation- attend and help plan all Steering Committee Meetings (weekend long camps/conferences for Youth Members twice ayear); ; provide assistance and leadership with other activities as required.
- Criminal Records Review is required as part of any offer of employment with FBCYICN;
- Valid BC Driver’s License and ability/flexibility to travel within & outside of BC
- And have an understanding of and commitment to the values and mission of FBCYICN.
- Education and experience in community development or equivalent;
- A proven passion for improving the lives of young people in and from care and a principled belief in the importance of meaningful youth participation
- A strong understanding of the needs and issues facing young people in and from government care in BC, and the concepts and strategies of meaningful youth engagement;
- A strong understanding of personal/professional boundaries.
- Strong interpersonal skills, specifically, the ability to identify strengths and support/coach others with their development. And the proven ability to work through disagreements and maintain effective working relationships with all parties;
- An understanding of the complexities of community and group dynamics and the capacity to effectively build on strengths and knowledge;
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with skills associated with effective project management leading to the successful delivery of events and projects;
- Strong ability to manage multiple and competing demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, and rapid change;
- Excellent written/oral communication skills, including facilitation & presentation;
- Strong computer skills i.e. Microsoft Office and working knowledge of Social Media; ability to trouble shoot minor IT issues would be an asset.
Terms of Employment:
Type of Position: This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week) position
Days of Work: Monday to Friday (some evenings and weekends required)
Rate of Pay: Salary range- $39,000-44,000 per annum (plus comprehensive benefits upon successful completion of probation period)
Reports To: Executive Director and/or Program Manager
We thank all applicants, in advance, for their interest. This position will remain posted until filled.