BC Child and Youth in Care Week
CELEBRATE BC CHILD AND YOUTH IN CARE WEEK 2015 JUNE 1-7 ACROSS THE PROVINCE!! Check out our new BC Child & Youth in Care Week website!
Our members (BC youth in and from care) advocated for this week–now in its fifth year–so their brothers and sisters in care could grow up feeling celebrated for their diverse talents and accomplishments, surrounded by a supportive community who stands with them. They also wanted to raise awareness about the barriers they face and fight the stigma that comes with being a “foster kid.” In celebrating this week, we hope British Columbians have key information and tools to celebrate and support our incredible young people every other week of the year, too.
Each year we work with youth and partner organizations to support an incredible week filled with celebrations in every community across the province. The BC Child and Youth in Care Week (BCCYICW) Working Committee, a partnership** of provincial agencies and youth advisors, have developed tools to support our community to host celebrations and to join in online celebrating. Please use the tools on this site to plan your celebration and promote the week!
BC Child and Youth in Care Week is for EVERYONE! It takes a village to raise a child, and like all kids, young people in and from care deserve a community to cheer them on. Part of being a great ally is celebrating. Learn more about how to #StandWithYouthInCare every other week of the year on our Allies page and on our Facebook campaign.
How YOU can Celebrate:
- Nominate an amazing young person in care for a BCCYICW Child + Youth Award!
- Host a celebration in your community, using our youth-made celebration guidelines and promotional kit! Be sure to keep us in the loop of events so we can promote yours: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attend an event in your community–find an event near you on our event listings, updated often!
- Spread the word on social media! Connect with our Facebook page, update your profile photos and banners with our images, use our suggested tweets/statuses or create your own, and use our hashtags on all social media: #BCCYICW #YouthInCareAreAwesome #JoinTheVillage #StandWithYouthInCare
- Share our youth-made video with everyone you know!
**BCCYICW Working Group: Four Youth Advisors from care and representatives from the Ministry of Children and Family Development, Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks, Adoptive Families Association, Federation of Aboriginal Foster Parents, BC Federation of Foster Parents Associations, BC Association of Aboriginal Friendship Centres and the Public Guardian and Trustee of BC.