Take the Wheel
The Take the Wheel Driver Training and Support Bursaries provide financial and in-kind supports to help youth in and from government care in BC obtain their driver’s licence.
- The Driver Training bursary provides up to $1,250 for young people to help cover the cost of a GLP course or professional driving lessons.
- The Driver’s Licence Support bursary will provide up to $250 to help to cover costs associated with completing the necessary driving practice hours prior to a road test, and incidentals such as proper identification, gas, insurance and other vehicle-related costs.
These bursaries are funded by ICBC and administered by the Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks with the support of the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
- Do you live in the Lower Mainland and need a vehicle to use to get in your practice driving hours? Youth who apply for the bursaries in the Lower Mainland and know a supportive adult willing to supervise (who is over 25 years old with a class 5 license in good standing) can access a new car leased to the Federation for driver training.
- If you live in another part of the province and need access to a vehicle, please indicate this in your application so that Fed staff can help connect you to resources in your area.
- The Federation also provides one-to-one support to help young people navigate the steps they need to follow to succeed - call us to talk to a staff member today!
- You are currently in care or a former youth in care either under a continuing custody order (CCO) or temporary custody order (TCO, Voluntary Care Agreement or Special Care Agreement) or Youth Agreement in BC under the Child, Family and Community Services Act.
- You are between the ages of 16 - 24.
- You are a Canadian citizen or a landed immigrant
- You are currently enrolled or are planning to enroll in an ICBC approved driver’s training course or professional driving lessons (if the former is unavailable) or you have completed this step and are preparing for your driver’s test
- You have obtained your Learner’s Licence.