What is a Local Youth in Care Network (Local)?
Locals are groups run by partnerships between youth and adult allies. They are designed to support youth in and from care ages 14-24. A Local follows the Fed’s mission and Values Code. Local youth leaders are supported by host agencies and Fed staff who can help the group to establish a budget, create an annual plan and follow the Values Code. Each Local is unique to the community that builds it. Some are fun activity-based, while others focus more on life skills, and some are a combination of both. Youth shape the Local to best meet their needs. Locals also help the Fed provide a provincial voice for youth in and from care.
The Fed strives to help communities create a safe space for youth in and from care to come together, build connections, identify challenges, and feel at home.
Mission of a Local
To create an environment for youth in and from care to come together for support so they don’t feel alone in their experiences. Locals give young people an opportunity to meet new people, do fun activities, develop skills, and unite their voices to create change in the systems that affect them.
To learn more about Locals, contact Jessy Neal, Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why get involved with a Local?
- Meet people with similar lived experiences and support each other
- Have fun with peers in and from care
- Help create a safe and fun space
- Unite their voices to create change in the system
- Build a group that meets the needs of youth in and from care in the community
- Help youth-serving organizations learn how to better work with youth in and from care
- Access to funding up to $4,000 a year
- Ability to use the Federation name and logo
- Work and build relationships with other Locals across BC
- Build and share knowledge of existing community resources throughout the province
- Promote Local’s activities through the Federation’s website, e-newsletter, social media, and Power Pages
- Help create a safe and fun space for youth in and from care
- Better understand how to work with youth in and from care
Host Agency: Interior Community Services
765 Tranquille Road, Kamloops, BC V2B 3J3
Contact: Krista Sherwood at KSherwood@interiorcommunityservices.bc.ca or 250-819-5819 or Renata Saat at email@example.com
Host Agency: ADAPS Youth and Family Services
4260 10th ave, Port Alberni, V9Y 4X3
Contact: Stacy Neary at firstname.lastname@example.org or 778-419-4445