Work With Us
Who We Are
The Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks (FBCYICN, or the Fed) is a youth-driven, peer-based provincial non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of young people in and from government care in BC between the ages of 14 and 24.
We were created by a group of young people in care who saw the need for more supports for their peers. That was in 1993, and today we still stay true to their vision. Our programs create a space for youth to come together, make connections, build skills and create change. Throughout the year we host youth retreats, workshops and other events, provide bursaries for education and skills development, support youth with training and leadership opportunities and distribute resources and information to young people and their allies across the province.
Check out Power Pages #53: Celebrating 25 Years to read more about our history!
Who You Are
You’re genuine, approachable, kind, and you think that youth in and from care are awesome! You believe in meeting young people where they’re at and that any young person can succeed in life (whatever success looks like for them) when they have access to supports, resources and community. You believe that young people are experts in their experiences, and that they should be able to make empowered decisions that are right for them.
You’re committed to learning, or failing forward as we like to call it. You believe that every setback is an opportunity to grow, change or move forward in a better way.
You like to collaborate. We believe that we each bring different strengths and gifts to the table and that we do our best work when we work together.
Our Must Haves
There are qualities that we look for in everyone who joins our team. Read below to see if we’d be a good fit:
- You’re committed to anti-oppression and to recognizing oppressive systems like racism, homophobia, ableism, transphobia and sexism and how they show up in society and in our work. We don’t ask that you be an expert on oppression and oppressive systems, but we’re committed to ongoing learning, and we ask that you do the same.
- You’re committed to inclusion. The Fed works to provide spaces that are inclusive for Indigenous, LGBTQ2S, racialized and marginalized youth. We do this by working to create environments that allow people to express who they are and share what they believe.
- You understand the importance of professional boundaries.
- You’re non-judgmental and believe in harm reduction.
Why Work With Us?
- We value your wellness and trust you to know what you need to be well.
- We value work-life balance. A few times a year there might be a specific event or project that requires you to work an evening or a weekend or travel, but otherwise your schedule is Monday to Friday, 9-5. We avoid asking staff to work overtime (unless it’s for a specific event and then it’s well-planned in advance). You’re not expected to check email, messages or any work devices outside of work hours.
- We’re a small, fun, casual, open staff team. We have team-building days or afternoons where we come together to build Lego, do art, play games or whatever we decide to do. The vibe is put-together casual.
- Opportunities for professional development. You have space to learn and grow your skill set.
- The work is rewarding! You get to help provide programs and services in partnership with amazing young people and support them to reach their goals and dreams.
Current Job Openings
We have no current job openings.