Another amazing youth retreat weekend!
A huge thank you to staff, volunteers and young people who met together last weekend and helped to make our 73rd retreat for youth in and from care a big success! Over 50 young people came out to join us for consultations, workshops, poetry reading, games, and other fun.
UBC was a great location for the camp with comfortable accommodations, tasty buffet meals, places to meet and play games inside and out, and the UBC Aquatic Centre and Museum of Anthropology to keep us busy in our free time. It was incredible to see so many new faces join the group and bring their unique strengths and talents to the weekend!
A few highlights:
- Meredith's Leading with Love workshop where young people wrote and shared poems to practice expressing their voice through art
- Consultations where young people helped to guide our work through issues related to membership, communications and reconciliation
- Workshops with community partners (some of which were led by our own youth members)
- Visits to the Museum of Anthropology and UBC Pool during free time
- The Talent Show where young people showcased their diverse talents in music, poetry, dance, and even makeup artistry
- The AGM where youth members voted in two new board members
All in all, it was a fantastic weekend which would not have been possible without outstanding volunteers, adult supports, hospitality staff and our very own youth organizers, the Extreme Team. If you attended the event and would like to provide feedback or comments about what the weekend meant to you, please send your thoughts to Rebecca.
We would also like to encourage attendees, as participants of a BC Child and Youth in Care Week event to complete the BCCYICW 2017 Survey.
Thanks again everyone, we hope to see you at our next retreat!