Information and Resources for Youth during COVID-19
July 23, 2020
MCFD has extended supports for youth aging out of care and youth on AYA during the pandemic. These measures are currently in place until September 30.
They've updated their COVID-19 info page for youth and young adults to be a hub of information and resources for:
- MCFD supports, including a handy list of transitioning-from-care scenarios that might apply to you
- People who've lost work due to the pandemic, including info on CERB
- Renters. We also suggest you check out the Tenant Resource Advisory Centre. They have lots of good information about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.
- Students, including info on CESB
- Communications and technology, including the Telus Mobility for Good program
- The temporary changes to the AYA program
- Mental health supports
- Taxes, credits and benefits you might be eligible for
AgedOut.com has also put together a list of resources and info.
If you have questions about MCFD supports, if you're having trouble getting in touch with your social worker, or you don't think you're getting the right supports, you can contact the Representative for Children and Youth at 1-800-476-3933. They have advocates who can help you.
There's a lot of information and supports for young people out there, and it can be really hard to navigate. If you're having trouble figuring out what resources you might be eligible for, need help applying for something, or you're just overwhelmed by all the info out there, you can contact a Fed staff member and we can help you figure things out.
Shannon Dolton, Program Coordinator
Cell Phone: 604-353-3495
Facebook: Shannon Dolton - fbcyicn
Jessy Neal, Program Coordinator
Cell Phone: 604-358-8234
Facebook: Jessy Neal-Fbcyicn
Steve Smith, Program Coordinator
Cell Phone: 604-353-3508
Facebook: Steve Smith Work