Driver Training Bursary
Driver Training Bursary
The upcoming July 5 round of Take the Wheel bursaries will be the last we are able to award at this time. Find out more.
The Take the Wheel Drivers Training Bursary provides youth in and from care between the ages of 16 and 24, support to get their Class 7 (novice or N) license in BC. The bursary awards youth up to $1500 to cover the cost of a professional driver’s training course or package. The Take the Wheel Driver Training Bursary is funded by the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) and is administered by the Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks. The Take the Wheel Driver’s Training Bursary will award 48 bursaries over the course of 2018-2019.
Please complete all necessary sections of this application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please note that you won't be able to change the requested amount once you submit, so please make sure to include taxes.
Note: If you are a youth in and from care between the ages of 16 and 18, in order for you to be eligible for a Take the Wheel Driver Training Bursary, you must provide proof that you have requested your social worker cover the costs of a driver’s training program and that they are unable to do so.
It will take between 4-6 weeks after the application submission deadline for applicants to hear back from us regarding the status of their application. It will take an additional 4-6 weeks for successful candidates to be notified that their bursary funds have arrived at their chosen driving school.
- Applicants have a cumulative total of at least one year of experience in BC government care under one or more of the following:
- Continuing Custody Order (CCO)
- Temporary Custody Order (TCO)
- Voluntary Care Agreement (VCA)
- Special Needs Agreement (SNA)
- Youth Agreement (YAG)
- Applicants are between the ages of 16 and 24 years old
- Applicants are a Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant
- Applicants have a valid Learner’s (L) license with a minimum of 6 months before it will expire
HOW TO APPLY
Complete an application package and include all required documents (see below). Submit completed application package with all required documents before each round’s deadline.
Round 1 deadline – October 18, 2018
Round 2 deadline – March 8, 2019
Round 3 deadline – July 5, 2019
The following documentation is required for an application to be considered complete:
- Proof that the applicant has a valid L license with a minimum of 6 months before it will expire, by providing a copy of yourlicense.
- Documentation verifying the name, location, and cost of the drivers training course or program you are wanting to participate in.
- Proof of care letter stating you have a cumulative total of at least one year of experience in BC government care.
- One reference letter – can be from a teacher, advisor, employer or supportive adult in your life, stating why you would be agood candidate to receive the Take the Wheel Driver’s Training Bursary.
- For youth between the ages of 16 and 18, a letter from your guardian or social worker confirming their support of your Driver Training Bursary application and explaining why they cannot cover the costs of the program for you.
- Answers to all essay questions.
- How will receiving the Take the Wheel Driver Training Bursary positively impact your life?
- Please explain the timeline and plan you have for successfully completing driver’s training and obtaining your N license. Include supports and resources you will use.
- What additional supports do you feel you need to help you successfully obtain your N license?
- Sign-off on Applicant Declarat
You can apply by downloading the PDF Driver Training Bursary application package, which can be dropped off, emailed, or faxed in:
Take the Wheel Bursary
Federation of BC Youth in Care Networks
500 – 625 Agnes St.
New Westminster, BC V3M 5Y4
Fax: (604) 527-7764
Or, you can apply online by completing the webform and attaching the required documents. If you apply online, please make sure you have all the required documents ready before you start your application. You will not be able to save it and come back to it later.